No study visa (stay permit) at Macau is needed before your arrival. The Student Resources Section (SRS) will arrange the study visa (stay permit) application for all international students as a group after your arrival in Macau. However, you might need an “Entry Visa”.

You should enter Hong Kong or Macau with an Entry Visa (Tourist Visa). You might be requested to show your “UM Letter of Acceptance” to the officers at Hong Kong or Macau Immigration Border.  This Letter will be sent to you after the confirmation of the corresponding faculty acceptance.

If you would like to apply for the Study Visa on your own after your arrival but not to follow the arrangement of the SRS, you have to prepare the following documents and go to the Macau Immigration for application:

  1. Original copy of the Travel Documents (e.g. Passport)
  2. Testimonial issued by the Registry of the University of Macau
  3. 1 Passport Photo (white background, 1.5 inch)
  4. Original and copy of the latest “Slip of Authorization to Stay (small paper given on arrival)”
Address: Edf. do Serviço de Migração Travessa Um do Cais de Pac On, Taipa, Macau
Telephone: (853) 2872 5488 (6 lines)
Fax: (853) 8897 0300

Entry Visas are required by Macau Immigration Department except the followings.

Types of People Limit of Stay
1. Holder of a valid passport or travel document A maximum of 30 days
2a. Holder of a passport issued by a European Union or Schengen Agreement member state  (Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, Ireland, Poland, Romania, the Republic of Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech, Estonia, Hungary, Lithuania, Malta, Bulgaria, Latvia)

2b. Holder of a passport issued by Liechtenstein, Andorra, Egypt, Japan, Republic of Macedonia, Tanzania, South Korea, Croatia, Mongolia, Cape Verde, Mali, Dominica, Brazil, Mexico, Republic of Serbia, Grenada, Bosnia and Herzegovina

A maximum of 90 days
3. Holder of a passport issued by Brunei A maximum of 14 days
4. Holder of a passport issued by Cyprus, Israel, Lebanon A maximum of 3 months or 90 days
5. British citizen holding a British passport A maximum of 6 months
6. Holder of a Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card or a Re-entry Permit A maximum of 1 year
7. Holder of a diplomatic passport, “Laissez Passer” issued by the United Nations, “diplomatic or consular identity card” issued by the Macao Special Administrative Region No limit

Other than above nationals, visa can be obtained from the Immigration Services through Embassies/Consulates of the PRC and should be used before the expiry date.

Visas are also available upon arrival in Macau at the Immigration Services for a period of 30 days. There are four types:

Individual MOP100
Children under 12 years old MOP50
Family MOP200
Groups comprised of at least 10 people organized by a single travel manager and presenting a collective travel document MOP50 per head

For further information, please visit the website of Macao Immigration Services of Public Security Police Force at ( or Hong Kong Immigration Services

After your arrival in Macau, if you want to travel to Mainland China, visa can be obtained at any of the China Travel Service (CTS) office counters at Macau, Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China in the Macau S.A.R., or the Gongbei Immigration and Customs (at the China Border Gate). Both one-time and multiple entry visa (6 months) are available which requires at least 3 working days.

Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China in the Macau S.A.R.

Address: No. 208, Av. De Marciano Baptista

Contact: (853) 8791 5126

Documents required for the China visa application are:

  • 1 Photos (2 inches)
  • Application Form
  • Passport (valid for at least 6 months)
  • Copy of Letter of Acceptance Issued by the University of Macau
  • Copy of Student Card
  • Authorization Stay Slip of Macao
  • Testimonial issued by Registry
  • Application Fee, by Credit Card (varies depends on the passport issue place) For more detail, you may refer to the official web site of the Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Peoples Republic of China in Macau SAR: **For Exchange Students of Mainland China, please refer to

For the International Students of Year 2 to 4, since your Study Visa (Stay Permit) is valid for one year only, you have to apply for extension prior to the expiration date of the Permit if you are continuing your studies at UM. Application for the Study Visa (Stay Permit) extension should be made to the Macao Immigration Department.  SRS will announce the renewal date and procedure at the UM E-bulletin. For the procedures, please refer to

The Macau Immigration Department has issued the points to note for non-local students about the handling of the study visa here in Macau. Please find the information here.